Some things you’ve got to know about insects.
* According to studies, half of all known animals are insects.
* Insect is a good source of protein so in several countries it is a delicacy.
* Majority of insects use their antennae in search of food.
* Insects are the cold-blooded animals.
* All insects have jointed legs, 3 pairs to be exact.
* Insects can lift objects 50 times or more its natural weight.
Here are other facts about insects:
* Almost 1/3 of all known insects are beetles.
* A 100 gram African Goliath beetle is the heaviest insect in the world.
* The South American Acteon Beetle holds the record for the biggest known insect. The males can grow up to 9cms long.
* The hairy winged beetles are the tiniest insects in the world.
* Believe it or not 278 Japanese beetles were once found on a single apple.
* 15 miles per hour at an average, that‘s how fast a bee can fly.
* A worker bee can generate 1/12th teaspoon of honey in its entire life span.
* In order to produce a tablespoon of honey, bees need to be busy sipping the nectar from 2,000 flowers.
* More human death are attributed to honeybees sting than all poisonous snakes bite.
* A bee’s buzz is generated by moving its wings at a rate of 11,400 strokes per minute.
* A bee can sting only once then dies after it pulled-out its stinger.
* A baby cockroach can run side by side with its parents.
* A head-less cockroach can survive for a week but dies of thirst because it can’t drink water.
* Cockroaches can survive for a month eating nothing but have only a week to live without water.
* The world’s largest cockroach found in South America is the world’s biggest cockroach measuring six inches and a one-foot wingspan.
* The Madagascan Hissing Cockroach (shown in photo) is one of the few insects who give birth to live young, rather than laying eggs.
* Believe it or not, ants stay awake all their life.
* Ants have to move their jaws sideways just to chew its meal.
* An ant colony can housed half a million individuals.
* Amazon ants (red ants found in the western U.S.) who are good warriors have to snatch other ants larvae to make them slaves. In so doing, Amazon ants can’t survive without their slaves.
* Certain honey-pot ants become a colony’s warehouse. Their bloated abdomen produces a liquid food that serve as food to other individuals living in a colony.
* The fire ant, who grows as big as a grain of rice has a sting that is worse than a hornet’s sting.
* Crickets sense of hearing comes from their knees.
* Take note only adult male crickets are capable of making a chirp.
* Crickets chirp is a product of rubbing its wings together.
* Some crickets are intelligent, they make a conical-shaped hole that help amplify the sound of their chirps allowing it to be heard as far as 2,000 feet away.
* Crickets are good temperature reader. People know whether its hot or cold depending on the chirps crickets make.
* According to studies, majority of human death caused by animals is due to mosquito bite
* Mosquitoes feet are irritated by citronella, so they hate it much.
* Mosquitoes will likely bite children and blondes.
* Don’t worry about male mosquitoes, only the females bite. They need blood protein to produce eggs.
* It would take more than a million mosquito bite to sap all your blood.
* Common diseases such typhoid fever, dysentery and cholera are usually associated with a housefly.
* The house fly life span at the most 21 days.
* The housefly complex eye has more than 4,000 lenses.
* House flies hairy and sticky toe pads to walk upside down on the ceiling.
* A house fly “hums” in the key of F and beats its wings over 20,000 beat a minute.