If you are a dog owner, then you should know a cardinal rule; know what you can and can”t feed your dog. You would say that as long as I stick to a pretty decent doggy diet, my dog would be fine. You are so wrong!
The truth is: there”s a lot of foods you probably didn”t know about that can actually be really bad for your dog. These foods include some that are perfectly healthy for humans. Perhaps you know by now that feeding your “man”s best friend” chocolates and milk is a big taboo. For those surprised to learn about this stuff, let me educate you.
Chocolate is one of the most common foods that is bad for dogs for it contains caffeine and theobromine which fall under the methylxanthines category. If eaten by a dog, chocolate can cause vomiting, dehydration, abdominal pains, muscle tremors, elevated body temperature, irregular heart rhythm, seizures and death.
How about milk? Puppies drink milk from their mothers after they”re born. However, like humans, dogs can also suffer from lactose intolerance. Also, milk contains milk sugar that dogs don”t have the enzymes to break down. Feeding your dog milk could result to vomiting, diarrhea and other gastrointestinal problems. While it”s not immediately life-threatening, it can contribute to serious bacterial exposure in dogs that could eventually lead to disease.
Aside from chocolates and milk. Here are 10 more foods you should avoid feeding your dog.
Like milk, cheese also has sugars and fatty components that dogs don”t have the necessary enzymes to break down. Eaten in excess, cheese and other dairy products, can cause diarrhea and vomiting.
While onions are a good spicy stuff, they can do more than just make your dog cry. Why? It contains compounds that can be harmful to dogs if ingested enough. Onions can damage red blood cells in dogs causing them to become weaker and less mobile.
Consider your dogs vampires and keep them away from raw garlic as much as possible. Garlic contains compounds that are strong in toxicity. Same effect with onion, your dog will be be tired and reluctant to move. In severe cases, a blood transfusion might be required.
Coffee contains a stimulant known as Methylated xanthine. This methylated xanthine stimulates the nervous system in dogs, that could lead to vomiting, restlessness, heart palpitations and even death.
5. Yeast dough
The raw yeast dough from making bread can ferment in a dog”s stomach, becoming toxic. Yeast dough can expand in your dog”s stomach or intestines and create a large amount of gas in the digestive system. The reaction can result in severe pain and a potentially ruptured stomach or intestinal tract. Vomiting, abdominal discomfort and lethargy can also occur.
Foods rich in fat, like bacon, can lead to the disease pancreatitis in dogs. Once a dog has developed pancreatitis, their pancreas” become inflamed and stop functioning correctly. This leads to all sorts of problems with digestion and nutrient absorption.
Grapes and raisins can be extremely toxic to dogs. While its currently unknown what chemicals and compounds are in grapes that cause toxicity in dogs, the results of consumption can be pretty devastating. Grapes and raisins can cause rapid kidney failure. Also, it can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration and lack of appetite. Death from kidney failure may occur within three to four days.
8. Macadamia nuts
Recent studies showed that macadamia Nuts can be incredibly harmful to dogs if eaten. Just like grapes, the toxic chemicals found in macadamias are still unknown right now, but they are known to cause a toxic reaction to dogs if ingested. Dogs will develop weakness and an inability to walk, specifically in their hind legs. Also could lead to vomiting, chills, and hypothermia.
Avocado leaves, pits, bark and fruit contain a toxin called persin. They can cause upset stomachs in dogs, breathing difficulties, and fluid buildup in the chest.
10. Apple cores
The core of an apple (as well as apricots, peaches, pears, and plums) contain cyanogenic glycosides which is also known as cyanide. Some of the symptoms that come from ingesting the toxin are dizziness, hyperventilation, seizures, collapsing, hyperventilation, and even coma.